Monitoring of Current Surface Field using a High Frequency Coastal Ocean Dynamics Application Radar – SeaSonde® CODAR.
System AMBIPETRO represents CODAR Ocean Sensors in Brazil. We are currently developing, jointly with Petrobras, a pioneer project in the southern hemisphere. Among its main objectives are the use of continuous monitoring of surface marine current data to provide operational safety in all activities performed in Brazil’s main oil basin: the Campos Basin.
Recent technological developments have allowed the use of more sophisticated radar systems with long reach antennae positioned on the coast, thus reducing costs and improving performance and reliability of equipment for oceanographic monitoring. After extensive market research to find the equipment providing the best data quality, we concluded that the CODAR Ocean Sensors High Frequency SeaSonde® Long Range radar not only meets our objectives but also offers additional successful applications for monitoring surface currents in the northern hemisphere.
The project aims to increase effectiveness and reduce response time in emergencies occurring in the Campos Basin. Installation and operation of the antennae system will improve monitoring of environmental conditions, since it will allow calibration of oil spill trajectory models considering accident scenarios. It will therefore render response to accidents more efficient. AMBIPETRO identifies the individual needs of its clients and offers the best solutions available on the market. We continue to invest in this project because it has proved to yield significant results that will certainly be used in other oil production basins located on the Brazilian coast. SeaSonde® is a compact system that measures currents and waves. Easy to install and maintain, it remains reliable under extreme meteorological conditions, such as hurricanes or cyclones.
The system delivers real-time surface current data (0-2m) with extensive coverage and ranges above 200 km for several years. No other technology can currently provide the same level of service. The technologies patented by CODAR (among which are the processing algorithms) allow SeaSonde® to produce extremely precise and accurate surface current velocity maps and to work out key wave parameters. The design of the antenna and the processing algorithms provide the system with coverage of up to 360º. The SeaSonde® is a consolidated tool, which allows it to focus on the application of data rather than on the collection technology.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SYSTEM:
- CONVENIENCE: Nothing stays in the water. All of the equipment is located on the coast or on an offshore structure. The compact design of the antenna, patented by CODAR, considerably simplifies installation.
- RELIABILITY: The entire electronic part of the system and its software are specifically developed by the CODAR team for continuous and long-lasting field operations, and to produce consistent data.
- ADAPTABILITY: The software parameters are highly adaptable and designed to work continuously, which practically eliminates the need for hiring operators with programming or radar-operating experience.
- AUTOMATION: The data is delivered to your office automatically at selected regular intervals and can be uploaded directly to your network in order to be made available to third-parties.
- REMOTE ACCESS: The system allows remote access for data recovery, monitoring, changing of parameters and direct support from the manufacturer.
- LOW POWER CONSUMPTION: The SeaSonde® is a low energy consumption system, which allows fully independent work in remote areas, and the use of alternative energy sources.
- FRIENDLY DATA FORMAT: All of the data produced is stored in ASCII files for convenient transfer across different computer platforms, as well as assimilation by numeric models and GIS programs.
- COMPATIBLE WITH COASTAL ENVIRONMENTS: The Compact design of the SeaSonde reduces visual impact at the installation site.